If you are looking for fun and easy Play Dough recipes that are non-toxic, child-safe, and easy to whip up, then Organic Play Dough is a must-try for you.
Let’s face it, play dough is a staple for any playroom and highly versatile making it a perfect playmate for children of almost any age group.
Many play dough brands also include fun extensions like molds, child-safe scissors, scoopers, and even hair-styling extensions which help develop fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and problem-solving skills in children.
If you are a parent or an immediate caregiver, opting for play dough would be a great way of catering to your child’s natural curiosity and facilitating holistic development.
If you have a tiny toddler or an active preschooler you would know that they ever so often while playing with this moldable mixture sneakily take a bite or two.
While playdough is a fun way of providing your child with unique tactile and tangible experiences, these amorphous solids might not be as safe as you may think.
Many Play Dough Brands integrate a myriad of harmful chemicals that can pose serious health risks when ingested.
In fact, play dough contains Borax (Sodium Borate), Deodorized Kerosene, and Sodium Benzoate among other unpronounceable chemicals that are detrimental to the child’s health when ingested.
If you are a vigilant parent who strives to provide your child with a safe playing and learning environment, looking for fun, non-toxic, and child-safe alternatives to common play dough, don’t look further.
Here is a recipe for creating your very own Organic Play Dough at home to provide your child with endless fun with optimum safety.
Organic Play Dough Recipe:
Organic Play Dough can be a great way of indulging in child-safe, fun, and exciting collaborative activities with your child.
Organic Play Dough integrates all the benefits of common play dough but without its nasty chemicals, making it perfect for younger children to play with or without assistance.
In fact, organic play dough is among the best ways of facilitating cognitive, physical, gross motor, and fine motor development in children.
Furthermore, Organic Play dough is among the best ways of enhancing your child’s creative imagination through open-ended and self-directed autonomous play.
This simple and easy DIY Organic Play Dough Recipe can be whipped up within minutes and only requires a few ingredients that you can find in your pantry.
Here is an easy-to-whip-up Organic Play Dough Recipe perfect for Sunday activities or summertime holidays and endless fun!
- 1 Cup of Organic All Purpose Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon Organic Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Citric Acids
- 200ml Water
How to Prepare DIY Organic Play Dough:
- Add water, salt, and citric acid to a small pot and warm it up over medium heat until both salt and citric acid dissolved in the water. Completely dissolving salt and Citric Acid allows other ingredients to combine easily.
- Put 1 cup of Organic All Purpose Wheat Flour into a large bowl and gradually add the water, salt, and citric acid mixture to the bowl. Make sure to slowly add water to the mixture and avoid pouring all the water at once.
- Once all the water has been poured into the bowl, start mixing the concoction with a wooden spoon.
- When well combined and incorporated, start kneading the dough with your hands until it becomes smooth.
- Once you have kneaded the dough make an indentation in the middle and add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Knead the flour dough and oil through until it becomes smooth and well combined.
- Put the dough into a plastic bag then place it somewhere cool and dry for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Take out the organic play dough and start kneading it again until it becomes silky smooth.
- Once you have achieved the desired consistency you can then add natural coloring to your organic Playdough.
Natural Organic Play Dough Color Ideas:
Just because it is natural, homemade, and organic, doesn’t mean your play dough has to be boring.
There are myriad ways of adding a touch of vibrant colors to Organic Play Dough, below is a list of some of the best and most effective ways of adding a touch of color to your boring white play dough to make your child’s play experience more vibrant, bright, and colorful:
- Pink: Beetroot Juice
- Blue: Butterfly Pea Powder
- Yellow: Turmeric
- Black: Add large amounts of charcoal powder
- Gray: Add some amounts of charcoal powder
- Brown: unsweetened cocoa powder
It is important to note that adding cocoa powder and charcoal powder can alter the consistency and texture of the organic play dough making it more dry and flaky.
Hence it is best to add charcoal powder and cocoa powder with caution.